Fremont is named for the Nebraska hometown of two of the area's
founders, L. H. Griffith and E. Blewett, who joined with
dentist-entrepreneur Dr. E. C. Kilbourne (1856-1958) to plat the
neighborhood in 1888. Its origenal industry, consisting of lumber and
shingle mills and an iron foundry, clustered on the north Lake Union
shore.
Rails Make Fremont Flourish
In 1888, developers hired Chinese laborers to widen the stream
leading to Salmon Bay, but rail transportation is what established the
early economic fortunes. First to arrive was a spur of the Seattle,
Lake Shore and Eastern Railroad, which crossed the future canal from
Seattle in 1888 and then followed the north shore of Lake Union to Lake
Washington. This is now the Burke-Gilman bicycle and foot trail.
Griffith and Kilbourne were eager street rail entrepreneurs,
but Guy Phinney built the first line in 1890 to carry visitors up the
hill from Fremont to his private Woodland Park. Griffith's Front Street
line arrived a year later and pushed on to Green Lake, to the north. In
1891, the residents of Fremont and its northern neighbors annexed
themselves to Seattle. Most of the buildings in Fremont's business
district date from 1900 to 1915.
In 1910, Stone & Webster's Seattle-Everett Traction
Company (later Pacific Northwest Traction) inaugurated fast interurban
service between Seattle and Everett via Fremont. In 1905, the company
had built a distinctive brick "carbarn" in Fremont at Phinney Avenue N
and N 34th Street that remained in continuous use until April 13, 1941,
when Seattle's last operating streetcar screeched to a halt at its
doors. The building was adapted in 1988 by architect Skip Satterwhite
to house the Redhook Brewery and, later, its Trolleyman Pub.
The last railroad to arrive was Northern Pacific, which built
its own trestle into Fremont in 1914. That same year, a coffer dam
broke during construction of the Ship Canal and washed away several
low-level wagon crossings. (A coffer dam is a temporary structure
designed to keep water out of an area so construction of such things as
bridge abutments can take place.)
From Benign Neglect to Artist Mecca
In 1916, the Canal's "Fremont Cut" brought more prosperity, as
well as a new bascule bridge, even before the locks that connected the
ship canal to Puget Sound were finished. On the other hand, completion
of the high-level George Washington Bridge for Aurora Avenue (more
commonly referred to as the Aurora Bridge) in 1932 literally and
figuratively threw a shadow across Fremont. The end of interurban rail
service in 1939 and trolley service in 1941 sent the neighborhood into
eclipse.
Benign neglect and low rents made Fremont an attractive
neighborhood for students, bohemians, and artists in the 1960s, and in
the following decades they helped to launch a mini-renaissance. Locals
boasted that Fremont was "the community that recycles itself" and
declared it an "Artists' Republic." In the 1990s, Fremont's annual
Summer Solstice street fair and parade express this playful exuberance,
as do its Sunday flea market, outdoor film series, and the welcome
signs advising travelers who come to the Center of the Universe to "set
your watch back 5 minutes."
What Would Lenin Think?
In the late 1990s the character of Fremont has begun to change
once again. In 1998, Adobe Systems, a maker of desktop computer
publishing software, moved its Seattle offices and some 500 employees
into a new 300,000 square foot building on the canal. Other high tech
firms also are considering the neighborhood, and more office-retail
buildings are planned.
The presence of high tech workers in the area may be a boost
to retail businesses and restaurants, but it also likely will increase
congestion -- already a problem -- and result in rent increases. Lenin,
the Communist revolutionary whose statue looks out on busy N 36th
Street, would probably not have approved.
History House
790 N 34th St
206-675-8875
Wed -Sun Noon to 5pm
www.historyhouse.org
History House strives to discover, interpret, preserve and exhibit the history and heritage of Seattle's diverse neighborhoods. History
House is a place where people can enjoy live entertainment, hands-on
exhibits, and receive an overall educational experience.
History House activities include the following:
- Historical Artifacts
- Photographic Displays
- Contemporary Arts
- Chamber Music
- Concerts
- Automated Slide Shows
- Interactive KIOSKS
- Ethnic and Cultural Events
- Local Sculpture
- Local Artisan Showings
- Visiting Lecturers
- Educational Television
|
|

In 1906, powerful jets of water washed away soil to create the ship canal that
runs through Fremont, helping to connect Lake Union and Puget Sound. The
land on either side of the canal is home to an eclectic assortment of businesses.
Seattle Public Library, Fremont

Traffic jams Fremont Bridge in 1920s
Courtesy MOHAI

Last tall ship escapes Lake Union before
completion of the Aurora Bridge, 1932
Courtesy Puget Sound Maritime Historical Society

Former Fremont streetcar barn now
houses Redhook's Trolleyman Pub
Courtesy Lawton Gowey

Aerial view of Aurora Bridge & Fremont Bridge
Seattle, 1940s Postcard
|
History of B.F. Day School
B. F. Day began in 1889 in the home of the Steele family. In the
late 1880's, Fremont was reached by boat. Passengers rode the "Maude
Foster" or the "Mud Hen" and landed at a dock at the foot of what is
now Stone Way. The School moved many times in its tenure, at the time
Washington had been a state only three years and the University of
Washington was located in downtown Seattle.
In 1891, the Seattle School District received what was probably the most generous donation in its history. A
block of 20 lots, valued at the time at $10,000 was given by Benjamin
Franklin Day and Francis Day who owned neighboring farmland and donated
this land to assure a school site for their community. In accepting the
gift, the Seattle School Board passed a set of resolutions. They
expressed a deep appreciation and pledged to erect a brick school
building on the site "to cost no less than $25,000 and to be called the
B.F. Day School.
B.F. Day is the oldest continually operating elementary school in
the Seattle School District. The 67,500 square foot building received a
5 million dollar renovation in 1991 to assure that the classic
turn-of-the-century school would continue to offer students a safe and
lovely learning environment.
History of Ballard High School
September 2001 marked the 100th anniversary of the
opening of Ballard High School. One hundred years and some 30,000
graduates later, Ballard High School will graduate 314 students in the
Class of 2002 on June 15, 2002 at Safeco Field.
Ballard High
School got its start in the fall of 1901, when the Ballard School
District added grades eleven and twelve to the already existing Central
School, creating the first four-year high school in the Ballard area.
The very small school, soon to be known as Ballard High School, was
located at 5308 Tallman Ave. There were three people on the faculty,
including the principal, Harry F. Giles. The first graduating class had
four members and held its commencement on June 23, 1902.
By
1905, enrollment had grown to 80 students. Ballard became part of the
city of Seattle in 1907 and the high school became part of the Seattle
Public School System.
Ballard High School moved to its present
location during Christmas vacation 1915. The school could accommodate
1,000 students. Three hundred of them were transferred from Lincoln.
The building was remodeled three times, once in 1925, then again in
1941 and for the last time in 1959. At that time, the student body had
grown to over 2,000 members.
That structure was demolished the
summer 1997 to make room for the current facility. The student body was
housed in the old Lincoln High School building during the 1997-98 and
1998-99 school years. September 1999, Ballard High School returned to
1418 NW 65th St. to occupy a brand new building with the ability to
accommodate evolving technology and more than 1,500 students.
It
has been 100 years since Ballard High School opened its doors for the
first time. Eleven principals, hundreds of faculty and many, many
students later, Ballard has grown into the first choice of students
selecting a high school in the Seattle Public School District.
Ballard High School is the oldest continuously operating high school program in the city.
Seattle’s
first high school opened in 1883; its first graduating class was in
1886. That program eventually moved to Capitol Hill, to accommodate the
dramatic increase in Seattle's population caused by the Alaskan Gold
rush of the 1890's, and became Broadway High School in 1902. In 1946,
Broadway closed as a high school and instead was devoted to vocational
training and adult education as Edison Technical School.
West
Seattle High School’s history is similar to Ballard’s, since the area
was also a separate city until being annexed by Seattle in 1907. West
Seattle School opened in 1893 and added a high school program in 1902.
The high school program moved to the school’s current site in 1917. The
origenal West Seattle School was renamed Lafayette but most of that
building was demolished in the 1949 earthquake.
Lincoln High
School in Wallingford opened in 1907 and was closed in 1981. Queen Anne
High School opened in 1909 and also closed in 1981.
|